Speech therapy helps people who have suffered a stroke or other injury to re-learn how to communicate through speaking, reading or writing. Speech therapy also helps those who have difficulty chewing or swallowing during meals, and helps improve memory skills so clients can perform tasks like managing medications or getting help in emergency situations.
Home Health Care Services
for the Central Virginia Area
We incorporate exercises to strengthen the muscles used in speech, use speech drills to improve clarity, and incorporate sound-production practice to improve articulation. We also provide cognitive training and methods for communicating with the hearing impaired.
Indicators for ST Intervention
- Voice and articulation problems that affect intelligible speech
- Language impairments that impair social functioning
- Frustration caused by confusion, disorientation, and memory loss
- Inability to independently plan and organize personal business
- Personality changes associated with brain injury/dementia
- Poor judgement leading to unsafe behaviors & inadequate self care
- Swallowing problems that result in inadequate intake; respiratory problems such as aspiration
Speech Therapists Will...
- Teach strategies to regain functional communication & socialization skills
- Strengthen oral, laryngeal & pharyngeal musculature to improve breathe support & keep airways clear
- Use learned coping strategies to decrease anxiety & agitation
- Develop ways to independently manage personal/business affairs post stroke, brain injury, or dementia
- Educate patients & caregiver to avoid anger, anxiety & depression
- Improve safety awareness, judgement, & avoidance of injury through cognitive training & family education
- Ensure safe & adequate oral intake